
Notions:
1 us size 15 16" circular needle
Darning needle
Yarn:
Bernat Handicrafter Cotton or Lily Sugar and Cream
2-3 balls of your choice, according to how large you want your bag to be.
Cast on 30 stitches. Knit straight 12 rows of garter stitch or stockinette, your choice. Bind off stitches leaving the last stitch on the needle. pick up 74 stitches all the way around, with 7 of them being on the ends and 30 on the longer sides. Place marker to note the beginning of the round.
Knit 2 rows stockinette to solidify the bottom of the bag.
Bag body:
Row 1 - *k2tog, yo* repeat from * to * until the end of the row.
Row 2 - knit
Row 3 - *yo, k2tog* repeat from * to * until the end of the row.
Row 4 - knit
Repeat these rows until your bag measures to your desired length. I knit about 14 inches.
Knit 12 rows in stockinette.
next round:
Knit 7, bo 30, k 7, bo 30 more. take one side of handle and knit in stockinette to desired length, then graft to the stitches on the other side.
Voila! It only took me about 2.5 to 3 hours to knit this bag. all of the yarnovers and large needle size made it a very simple very quick knit.
© 2008 Sarah Vendel
You may use this pattern for personal use, gifts, or for charitable donations. Copies of this pattern may be made as long as the pattern is unchanged and contains all copyright and contact information. This pattern may not be sold, given away by yarn stores, or used to create items for profit without my written consent.
6 comments:
I love it!! What a great pattern!!
Thank you! I finished my first bag in honor of Earth Day, and plan to make several more as gifts.
I am going to make a couple of bags for my Mom for Mothers Day. Your pattern is the one I was looking for. Thanks!
Thanks for the great pattern!!!
Silly ? for you. Along my joined edge, I'm getting crosses of yarn that aren't worked in to the "holes" - I don't think that's right. ? Its only happening there at the beginning of the rounds.
nichole, mine did the same thing, but you can hardly see it when finished, and especially when the bag is all stretched out and full of things. I haven't figured out the formula to fix this yet. Please let me know if you do though! :)
Post a Comment